Safety Tips for Older Adults Living Alone
In the United States of America, it is common to see an older adult living alone. Just like any other person living on their own, there are benefits, as well as disadvantages to living by themselves.
- Keep the bathroom safe
The bathroom is one of the many places accidents happen. Here, elderly people fall and obtain injuries. We hope this will not be a problem for you. That is why you need to be safe in your bathroom. Here are just some ways on how to do so:
- Do not turn your bathroom lights off at night
- Install bath aids
- Slip-proof the tub with mats
- Make labels clear
- Be safe in your kitchen
Aside from the bathroom, the kitchen is one of the most dangerous places in the house. Be safe in your kitchen by:
- Cleaning the floors
- Turning the lights on
- Storing sharp knives properly
- Using kettles that automatically shuts off
- Storing objects at waist level
- Keeping away from long clothes when cooking
- Mind your medicine cabinets
Your medicine cabinets are your partners in keeping you healthy. Make sure you have a good relationship. When we say having a good relationship, we are talking about you practicing drug safety.
Older adults are prone to drug overdose simply because they are prone to forgetting that they have already taken their medicine. Aside from drug overdose, taking wrong or expired ones can also be a problem. Here are some ways how you can maintain drug safety, especially when you are living on your own:
- Reviewing the medicines frequently
- Labeling medicines clearly
- Disposing old medications
- Sticking to your own prescription drugs
- Consulting the experts before mixing the drugs
- Increase the security
Being old and alone can increase your risk of being a victim of crimes and accidents. In order to have a safe stay in your own abode, you need to have your security checked. You can do this by:
- Allowing neighbors to check on you
- Installing security cameras
- Partnering up with your community
- Having a companion
At Hand in Hand Home Care Solutions, we care for older individuals living on their own.
We provide Home Care in Florida to keep seniors safe.
We have professional caregivers who can care for you and keep you company. So do not sacrifice your safety. Be cared for by our qualified care providers by visiting our website at www.handinhandfl.com.
We look forward to keeping you from harm’s way. Let us keep your retirement as safe as possible.